Sunday 24 January 2010

Romke Hoogwaerts



Romke Hoogwaerts
New York City
flickr website
MOSSLESS magazine
beauty/fascination/eye of the beholder
















It was a pleasure interviewing Romke:


When did you start taking photographs?

I remember having the opportunity to take photos with my parents' cameras when I was as little as 7 and getting really carried away with it, but I didn't get my first real camera until I was 13 or 14. I got really into it. I wanted a Hasselblad right then and there! Of course I didn't get one, and I've since only touched one with my fingertip once.


Have you ever been on mossless.com?

Actually, before we started doing interviews we posted an image and the caption- their age and something about them. The very first post is one of my photos, and the second is my good friend Juan Chao who still helps me out with the blog.


What is the best part of running Mossless Magazine?

Getting into contact with really great people! I don't know if I'd be friends with Dave Geeting or Bobby Doherty (one of the funniest people I've ever met) if it wasn't for the blog. It's very humbling, how many people I've gotten into contact with through the blog.
If I wanted to go to Iceland this summer, for example, I now know at least three people who live or have lived there, which is great!


Can you give a sneak peak on the upcoming issue in march?

No, but what I can tell you is that I am incredibly excited and really proud of what is to come.


What do you like most about Amsterdam? Did you ever encounter anything strange there?

My favourite thing about Amsterdam is this club called Sugarfactory on sunday nights when they have "Wicked Jazz Sounds" nights. When I go to Amsterdam I'm virtually a tourist, I've never lived in Holland and I can count on my hands how many times I've been to that city- but the strangest thing I saw must have been a David Lachapelle photograph, haha.


Your favourite fast food?

Chipotle.


You study film/video at SVA. Are you currently working a film project?

Yeah, actually. Our production class this semester is wholly dedicated to one film project each. Mine's still only in the first draft phase, though.


Short films or music videos. What do you prefer to do at the moment?

Tough question! I love music videos, and you can really experiment visually with them, and think of crazy ideas that probably wouldn't work otherwise. Maybe them. I wish I had more opportunities to make music videos to good songs! I made one for an up and coming band called the Peppermint Lounge, it's on my Vimeo.


If you could choose a palace or fort to live in, which one would it probably be?

Probably the Forbidden City if I could have it all to myself and my friends.


Orson Welles or John Ford?

John Ford's ridiculously long résumé unfortunately falls just under Orson's persona in my opinion. Just the whole War of the Worlds thing, and driving around in an ambulance to beat traffic - insane, genius.


Your most beloved camera?

Out of the cameras I've collected, most of which don't work any more, probably my Voigtländer. I've always wanted a working Leica, though. But doesn't everyone!


Whose online photo gallery or flickr do you visit most often?

Unfortunately he doesn't put his photos on flickr much anymore, but Coley Brown's photos are some of my favourites. I've had the opportunity to meet him since, per chance! One of the nicest guys I know.
As for online galleries, I check butdoesitfloat almost every other day.


Your favourite movie in 2009?

The Hurt Locker, but I have yet to see The White Ribbon!



Lovely and fascinating gallery, incredibly good photography magazine. Be sure to visit his flickr and website! Don't forget to take a look at MOSSLESS.

No comments: