Wednesday 17 March 2010

Tatjana Šuškic



Tatjana Šuškic
Belgrade, Serbia


















What is your liaison to art and photography?

I was always interested in art, especially in literature and films. Couple of years ago I started thinking about photography as something I could really enjoy doing. I like being the observer. I love the plurality of meanings that art and photography, as a form of art, give us.


What do you consider to be the most difficult part in photography?

The most difficult part in photography for me is to be spontaneous but meaningful. To tell the story in a light way with ironic allusions, sense of humor and wit.


Describe Belgrade in three words.

I talked to my friends about this question and these words came up: gray, decadence, illusion, instability, restlessness, diversity, perversity, mimicry, streets, faces, eclectic, in-between, smoke and dust, down up down, girls, tiredness, loneliness, sex.


“Photography is truth.” Do you agree?

Photography is truth? Yes, I agree, but sometimes the truth isn’t important in photography. I think that life in front of the camera can be more realistic than the reality or what we want reality to look like.


Is there something you feel you will love doing for the rest of your life?

I love cooking …riding my bicycle…travel. I would love to learn how to play the piano one day.


Who would you have given the Oscar for best picture this year?

I didn’t like the official selection…most of those films I didn’t even see. I would give the Oscar to The White Ribbon, Michael Haneke.


If you were to name a café or restaurant, what would you name it?

I think about that often. I still don’t have an answer…maybe Heart Games that crossed my mind now or Play Sometimes, it’s a verse from my sister’s poem.


One band/musician whose music you have never gotten tired of?

I can’t imagine my life without music… I never get tired of Gal Costa, Nina Simone, Charles Aznavour, Erik Satie, Tindersticks, Bryan Ferry, Beach House, Jana Hunter…
Now I am listening to wonderful Shangri-Las – Out In The Streets.


If you were to recreate pictures of a photographer as part of an art project, whose work would you chose to work with?

I would love to (re)create pictures of many photographers, like Cindy Sherman, Araki, my favorite Nan Goldin, Laura Letinsky, Hellen van Meene – her beautiful portraits of girls and young woman. Lately the photos of Clemence de Limburg, Stephen Shore, and Ali Bosworth fascinate me…


Curiouser than ever, be sure to take a look at her work!

No comments: