Sunday 18 April 2010

Martina Giammaria



Martina Giammaria
Rome, Italy
flickr website
















What is an important basic component in a trapezist's life?

Definitely the most important thing is that a trapezist can fly, for some moments he's in the air without any help or support. that's why I choose this path ;)


Is there something that specifically captured you in photography?

The fact that I have an instant result. I'm really fickle and I could never be able to learn to paint or to learn some other form of expression that requires years of manual training for the first result.


In your interview with "ilovethatphoto" you said that photography would be a "good way to avoid the analyst". Why would you want to do that?

Psychoanalyst is too expensive! It's better to solve our "psychosis" by ourselves.


Seeing it's spring in Europe right now, which camera(s) do you currently like to use when working daytime/outdoors?

Working by day and outside is what I like most. And the cameras that actually are more close to my way of taking pictures are the analog ones. This doesn't means that I dislike the digital world, the digital forces you to have a good idea, you can get out with the vintage fashion of the film. You need a good project, content, not just images, something that justifies its use and all the postproduction that you could do.
Film is hard to be managed technically, you have to think and value all the variables with more attention, you can't do too many errors, but it also helps you in the end. It carries a "serious project" sensation with it, something to consider more carefully. Film is also for lazy people and I'm totally lazy now and in love with the analogue colors.
So film cameras, reflex and compact, 35mm and medium format.


What do you think is most appealing in fashion photography?

I like it for two different things: you can be very creative and earn money at the same time (if someone pays you) and I like the female body a lot, but I don't have 20 years anymore and I'm a bit tired of selfportraits, so it's great to have beautiful models to empathize with.


Are there certain spots in Rome that have a special atmosphere for you?

There's a fantastic light in Rome, the whole year. And this is a lot already. I really like the big green area, where I can find different kinds of vegetation.


The subject you liked/disliked the most in school?

Italian literature and latin. Looking back my school was really boring


Let's say in 30-40 years, what is you photocollection going to look like?

You mean when I will be 60-70 years old? It’s hard to tell, probably a lot of negative folders in perfect order on several shelves and some hard disk with a mess of files inside. And I hope that the best galleries in the world will also have some big prints of my photos on their walls.


After you trip through Poland, which country would you like to visit next?

The USA. Never been there and I have great expectations from this country that I want to confirm or destroy.


Connected to this, could you see yourself among the traveling orientalists, archeologists, adventurers etc. of especially the 19th century?

This is a strange question because I have a degree in archeology. And I started studying archeology thinking of Indiana Jones and his adventures. I saw myself travelling in the middle east discovering ancient cities. Obviously the reality was different, archeologists now work in another way. The 19th century was probably my century!


How important is romanticism in your work?

I'm not romantic, and I don't want my photos to look that way, but I suppose its impossible to avoid it since in the moment they become romantic they start becoming memories. There are photos I took last year, when the story with my boyfriend began, that have nothing special or beautiful, but I can't stop loving them or using them to represent my work. I wonder how this is perceived by the rest of the world.


What is you favourite ice cream flavour?

Coconut and pistachio.



Collection of lovely and varied pictures, be sure to take a look at her work!

No comments: