Saturday 28 August 2010

Ninja Hanna




Ninja Hanna
Stockholm, Sweden



















What led you to photography?

I'm not one of them who can say that I photographed all my life. That I took pictures before I learned to talk or walk and got my first SLR when I was five years old and all that. No, my road that led to photography is slightly more diverse and goes mainly through the arts.
However, I have painted and drawn all my life. I am a major cliché in that department instead, you know the deal - claimed since the tender age of three that I would become an artist when I grow up and nothing else would do. I wanted to work visually… and well, I still do. So, not so much has changed in the last 25 years, or so. But it took some years before photography made its great entrance into my life. I was probably around 16-17 years when I decided it was time to try it. And I kinda knew that I would love it before I’d even properly tried it out. I was mostly focused on photo-realistic painting at that time but felt like I didn’t really quite master it. Also photography felt more, well in lack of other words, real. I think that the passion for the photo-realistic way of painting led a quite natural way into photography. It seemed like an almost organic evolution and today it’s such a big part of who I am. Unfortunately, I must say that the artist with a brush and canvas disappeared on the road. Today I only do photography.


What's the best part of making photo shoots with friends?

The security and the trust in each other’s creativity. That you can have a dialogue and let the work emerge naturally. It is not the same pressure and performance anxiety and you can experiment more. And well, just the fun of it!


If you were to model for a designer/fashion company, who/which one would it most preferably be?

I know it may seem a little cliché now, after he recently passed away, but I was always impressed by Alexander McQueen’s visual visions and amazing designs.


Is there an artform you would like to combine to your photographic work?

The obvious answer is the cooperation with good make-up artist and designers of various kinds. I feel that there is much to learn out of that type of collaborations. Both in the commercial aspects of it as well as in the personal development department. I have also already made a series in which I interacted illustrations with my pictures and I would very much like to take these ideas further. Maybe work with professional illustrators in the future. Be inspired by each other’s work.


Does the exchange of favourite photos among bloggers/flickr member etc. increase or decrease the value of the pictures?

In my opinion it’s clear that there are both good and bad aspects about the internet. I personally however find there are mostly benefits.
Obviously you feel happy and flattered to see your pictures on various blogs, favorites on flickr and tumblr, etc... While on the other hand it is incredibly annoying to find your images without credits and omg, when some photos emerge on sites of the more “suspect” kind. But it is part of the way it is today and I think that this just has to be accepted. How this affects the images value I can’t really consider, I believe that a picture's value lies in the eyes of the beholder. And the feeling an image can evoke in the viewer. This is very individual and I can’t really determine if there is a change in the pictures "value" because of this.
But after some lighter self-review, I might have to admit that I do appreciate the pictures that I feel are more exclusive to me and which not everyone knows about a bit more. You do feel a bit better or at least more special when the images feel more intimate to you. And I do think that I put a greater value on them then. Isn’t that the artist’s eternal struggle though, commercial and successful or underground and street cred?


Why do you think has photography become so very popular among young people recently?

At the risk to appear a bit backward now.
It feels like everyone has a digital camera today. And it seems like all it takes to call yourself a "photographer" these days is a digital SLR. Photography has become a very easily accessible visual medium with the digital age. I can’t really take position on whether I think it is good or bad. I mean, it was not too long ago that photography was not even considered a full-fledged art form. So in some aspects this development is really good. And well, I'm probably just being partial here, because I almost only work analogically. Anyway, I think it seems that everyone wants those Andy Warhol 15 minutes in the spotlight. We grew up in a world in which we’re regarded as successful only if we are famous. Blogs are the latest thing and they give everyone a chance to express themselves visually. And they are also able to use as online portfolios that can reach more people more quickly. It’s actually amazing. And like I said earlier, it’s easily available and inexpensive to be digital. And aren’t young people the ones really taking advantage of the perks that the internet offers? 
Maybe? Or I do not know. Now I sound bitter, it's not my intension. Trends will come and go now won’t they? Time will tell what the upswing among young eventually will lead to, too. Hopefully something really good.


What implies "making it" for you?

When I can live of my own projects and the type of photography that appeals to me.
Oh Glory Days; I'm eagerly awaiting you!




Vivid and fresh. Be sure to check out her work!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh such a nice photos,

and hey your blog is great !