Monday 31 January 2011

Kelli Nastasi




Kelli Nastasi
Baltimore, MD

















How often do you carry your camera with you?

I never leave my house without at least one camera.


Name one event or occasion you truly regret not having had your camera at hand.

My grandmothers fight with cancer in 2001. I wasn’t taking photos back then and I know she would have hated having her vulnerability and sickness documented, but there are so many things about her that have faded or distorted in my memory in the 10 years she’s been gone. Now I try not to miss anything.


Do you find it easier to take portraits of people you know than of strangers?

I actually find both remarkably difficult. Portraiture isn’t something I feel very confident in, so I’m always practicing. But I feel like I fail to accurately capture my friends and I’m often too shy to talk to strangers. I owe the portraits that have turned out well to good luck.


Do you ever get inspired by movies for certain picture settings?

All the time! Film is another love in my life and what I appreciate most in a director is one who allows the audience to travel with the characters. We not only follow them through the storyline or on an emotional journey, but we take a walk or ride a train with them. I love to explore even if it’s down the street or walking around my room, & my photos are a documentation of those everyday comings & goings.


And do you prefer to decide in advance or spontaneously about which movie you would like to see at the cinema?

I like to decide in advance.


What are your feelings on seemingly popular styles like "vintage" or "indie" photography?

I would say those styles are definitely popular and there are things I appreciate about that look, but I’m admittedly not very fond of those new iphone apps that do all the work for you. I’m happy if it’s making photography more accessible but I also worry that it makes people lazy.


And does it ever bother you if your work is being associated to such labels?

No. I’m usually just happy that people are even seeing my photos.


If you have such a definition: what do you consider a worthy subject or motive for a picture?

I don’t think there’s anything unworthy of a picture. I use film exclusively and on a pretty tight budget, so I try to really think about what is going on through my viewfinder. Any subject that I have a connection with is usually a good enough motive. I think a sincere interaction between photographer & subject is what shines through in a photo and I love when that can trump any imperfections in the photo.


The gift and the curse of photography sites and blogs?

Gift: Exposure for new talent. There are lots of great photographers I probably never would have discovered if not for websites like Flickr, Not Content, or your site. 
Curse: Overstimulation. There’s so much out there that sometimes I just stop thinking about what I’m looking at.



Fresh. Take a look at her work!




3 comments:

ashley said...

i really like the rope swinger. well done!

Danny Roche said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Danny Roche said...

I love the shot of the boy in the lake! I recently stumbled upon your blog by googling Jostein Wålengens flickr. I'm really enjoying your blog so far. Care to take a look at mine? I just started it.

http://alt-beauty.blogspot.com/