Wednesday 25 February 2015

Gonash Haghshenas






Houston, Texas
























Where did you get your first camera?

It was my dad's old camera.


You shoot with analogue cameras. Do you always carry one with you?

Yeah, most of the time.


Is there a picture you took you can lose yourself in?

Hahaha, I don't think I like my work enough to be able to do that!


As most people, and especially photographers, you document your life by taking pictures. Is there any other form you record your experiences and memories?

Yeah, totally. I write more than I do anything else and sometimes I'll hold on to paper things if they remind me of something or some time cool.


Do you like to look through others' work or friends/families pictures? Do you prefer to hold the prints or scroll through streams/blogs?

I used to look at this album of my grandparent's dead relatives all the time and yeah, holding an actual print with weight in your hands is always better, but there's obviously way more shit to look at online.


Do you ever realize that you - in your own terms - are making progress as an artist? What has changed in your attitude or way of working?

I would hope I'm making progress but I'm not really sure. I guess if anything has changed, it would be that I've stopped caring so much, like over thinking or doubting everything I do so that has made it easier to be productive.


What are you working on currently?

I've been working on the same on-going series since I started and I'm hoping for something to come together this year with my pictures so I can shift my focus to other projects with writing and maybe film.


Do you find it easier to work on personal or assigned projects?

I don't think I've ever been assigned a project so who knows.


You’ve been living in the United States for a while now. What do you like most about living in Texas?

Texas rules, especially Houston. I used to want to get away and I ended up in New York last year because of that. But I'm in the Third Ward of Houston now and way more grateful for this city.


Which was the last song you listened to?

Probably something by This Heat.





No comments: